Friday 15 May 2009

TeacherTube

I attended an Innovation Seminar today.

I was lucky listen to a key note address and then meet Jason Smith from TeacherTube today and chat to him for a while. He seems like a really genuine guy who has education at the heart of the organisation and himself.

I was really surprised today that teachers had not heard of TeacherTube.

Surprised is not the right term.

I just wish those who posted educational material on YouTube thought of TeacherTube too so more educators know about it.

I like TeacherTube a lot because it is a safe way of being able to share materials with students. It is also a safe way to present student work.

It allows you to share videos url's without having to make the watcher a member of anything, which I believe is an important feature because even I forget all my passwords and logins all the time.

http://www.teachertube.com/


How can I use it?
I have placed materials on TeacherTube to use in an online class. As we go through the chat I give the students the link they then open the link in a new window watch the short clip and we then use it for the discussion points. Fantastic!

You can then later embed the video clips into you blog /wiki/ ning or provide the link for students to use for revision or if they missed the class.

They are about to launch some new improvements later on this year and they sound like they have a good handle on what 21st century learning can look like.

Here is a clip with Jason Smith talking about TeacherTube



TeacherTube, takes the sharing, production, and community-building aspects of YouTube and offers an educator's version. According to TeacherTube’s founders, "We seek to fill a need for a more educationally focused, safe venue for teachers, schools, and home learners."

No comments:

Post a Comment